Recipe: A Winter Oyster Roast
Here is the BIC's recipe for the perfect Oyster Roast fundraiser:
1. Source the freshest local ingredients: 40 bushels of wild seaside oysters, 13,000 clams, umpteen barbecued chickens and pigs, 100 lbs of roasted peanuts from Suffolk, homemade Eastern Shore-style clam chowder and delectable mint brownies by Louise Oliver.
2. Saute with a couple kegs of Back Bay Brewing Company's own Oyster Stout along with kegs of hard cider and other tasty brews, delicious cases of Chatham Vineyards wine, local Coastal Roasting Company locally roasted coffee.
3. Sprinkle in an incredible crew of volunteers who showed up in droves to help plow, shovel and rake the grounds, set up the roasters, steam the clams, man the beer truck, greet guests and then clean up the whole thing afterwards. Add a pinch of the Nature Conservancy volunteers who collect and recycle the oyster shells.
4. Gently stir in a rich and varied silent auction including a selection of the finest hand crafted objects and art, dining and adventure packages donated by local artisans and small businesses.
5. Add some very Generous Sponsors, including our favorite Eastern Shore oyster houses: Ballard Fish & Oyster Company, H.M Terry Co, J.C Walker Bros. and Ocean Cove Seafood, as well as Jones Zittrain Wealth Management Group of Merrill Lynch, Tankard Nurseries, and Hall Automotive with their new light trucks and commercial vans.
6. Toss with a host of other local and regional sponsors, including Bay Creek Resort & Club, ESLAND, Rayfields Pharmacy, Michael L. Sterling - Vandeventer Black, LLP, Shore Bank, Wilbanks Smith & Thomas Asset Management, Wolcott Rivers Gates, Atlantic Animal Hospital, Back Bay Brewing Co. Chatham Vineyards, Drs. Savage, Sabol & Visser – Orthodontics, Eastern Shore Animal Hospital, Eastern Shore Events & Rentals, H.W. Drummond, The Insurance Market, Leatherbury-Broache & Co., Mattawoman Creek Farms, Mobile “Pig-Nic” Catering, Moore’s Portable Solutions, PNC Bank, Ralph W. Dodd & Associates, Sharp Energy, Shooting Point Oysters, SunTrust, Tidewater Insulators, Tommy Arnold, Inc., Turner & Turner and Willie C. Randall of Edward Jones.
7. Season with the best guests ever coming from as far as Boston or as close as Machipongo.
8. Serve cold - or warm around some large heaters - and enjoy!
Makes 600+ servings.