BIC FAVES AND RAVES
New to the Eastern Shore? Planning a visit and want to get a head start on your itinerary? Or just looking for a new fun tip? With so many incredible local options, it's hard to list them all, but we thought we'd share a few of our favorite things...
Art & Photography
- At Altitude Gallery - amazing aerial photography of the Eastern Shore captured by Gordon Campbell (yes, we've used some of them on our website banners, including the homepage photo)
- Artisan Trail - there are so many incredibly talented artisans on the Shore, and now there is Virginia's Eastern Shore Artisan Trail to guide you to them!
- Windsor House - we just love the handsomely crafted Windsor chairs and other furniture made by Kurt Lewin, as well as the fun hand-painted signs and collectibles by his wife, Sally.
- Eastern Shore Events and Rentals - Hunt and Pete are the go-to guys for tents, tables, chairs, or anything you need to make your event shine, whether it's an authentic Eastern Shore Oyster Roast or an upscale destination wedding.
- Mobile Pignic Catering - we wouldn't think of holding our Oyster Roast without serving Mobile Mike's delectable pork barbecue and grilled chicken!
- Eastern Shore Adventures - okay, we may be a little biased because Captain Buddy is married to our executive director, BUT his eco-tours and fishing trips are really first rate.
FRESH & LOCAL
- Eastern Shore Coastal Roasting Company - with blends like Fog Cutter and Hog Island Sunrise, these locally roasted coffees perk us up for each new day in paradise.
- Mattawoman Creek Farms - we are so lucky to have this organic farm right down the road for fresh, local greens through their CSA subscriptions all summer long.
- Pickett's Harbor Farms - there is absolutely nothing in the world that can beat a perfectly ripe fresh-picked Pickett's Harbor peach in the summer - unless maybe it's one of their heirloom tomatoes...
- The Bakery at Riverside Farm - we can't decide between Louise's yummy cinnamon swirl or the sophisticated blue cheese and toasted walnut fresh bread each week, so we usually have to order both!
- Farmers Markets - the weekly Tuesday afternoon Cape Charles Farmer's Market at the Cape Charles Museum is a big hit from May - October. But, make sure to arrive early to get a wonderful assortment of home baked goods, fresh organic produce, farm fresh eggs and more! On Saturday mornings, check out the great Farmer's Market in Onancock.
- Moonrise Jewelry - we all love to accessorize with Meredith's cool, award-winning artisan jewelry, including her fish leather cuffs and real orchid necklaces.
- Periwinkles - why even think of venturing across the bay for fashion and bling when Suzanne will make you feel so welcome at her fun consignment store in downtown Cape Charles?
Vittles & Libations
- Back Bay Brewing Company - their cool tasting room is located near the Virginia Beach oceanfront, so you may want to pick up a growler on your way over the Shore. We were thrilled that they served their new Oyster Stout at our Oyster Roast this year.
- Chatham Vineyards - only 3 miles away from the BIC, this award-winning vineyard is well worth a visit to the tasting room for a sip and a chance to pick up a bottle or two.
- Machipongo Trading Company - great coffee, wraps and smoothies - and the best part is they are directly across the highway from us!